Picture of Stacie D. Harvey and seal of the office

If you are in danger call 911.
The purpose of an injunction is to legally prevent another person from having contact with you by ordering that person to stay away from your home, vehicle, place of employment, and other places the court finds necessary. The person is also forbidden to contact you by phone, in writing, by email, or in person. Injunctions can include other relief that the court feels is appropriate. If you are under 18 years old, ask the Clerk about an adult filing on your behalf.

The other person will get a copy of everything that you write in the petition and all of the court papers. You should contact a victim advocate and have a safety plan.
Hubbard House - 904.259.2009
Women's Center - 904.259.2427
BCSO Advocate - 904.653.6021
State Attorney Advocate - 904.259.3815

Service Information For Injunction
Petitioner's Waiver or Non-Waiver
Injunction - Domestic Violence
Injunction - Sexual
Injunction - Dating
Injunction - Repeat Violence
Injunction - Stalking
What happens after I file?
One of three things will happen after you file:
  1. The judge can enter a Temporary Injunction for Protection. This order will only be in effect until the hearing, which cannot be more than 15 days away. Read it carefully. The other person will be served with a copy. If the other person contacts you before the hearing, report it to law enforcement.
  2. The judge can enter an Order Setting Hearing Only. This means that there is no injunction in effect until the hearing. The other person will be served with a copy.
  3. The judge can deny the petition and should give reasons in writing why the petition was denied. You can file a supplemental petition with additional information that may make a difference in the judge's decision.

What do I bring to court?
  • Witnesses - Witnesses must come to court to testify. Letters from witnesses are not allowed. You may subpoena witnesses, but there is a fee. You may contact the clerk for information. Police officers usually require a subpoena in advance to attend hearings.
  • Evidence - Pictures, phone records, messages, etc. that you want the court to consider.
  • Proof of Income - If you are asking for child support or alimony, you must bring a financial affidavit or proof of income such as pay stubs, tax returns, etc.
  • Documents - Car titles and deeds to home or other shared property.
  • Copies of Any Other Court Orders - involving you and the other person such as divorce, custody, child support, etc.